Thursday, August 07, 2008

Richard Thompson Q&A

The Daily Cartoonist highlighted an interview Panels and Pixels blogger Chris Mautner did with with insanely talented "Cul de Sac" creator Richard Thompson, who talks about life before the daily strip. Check it out here.

Panels and Pixels also has an interview with Darrin Bell, creator of "Candorville," which we've been testing.

What's the reaction to "Candorville"? Mixed. It seems to be popular with readers who are looking for a character-driven strip. It's obvious that not everyone is. We're adding "F Minus," at least for now, because it has been well-received by respondents to the Test Comic Center (and because, through someone else's doing, we've been paying for it for some time, even though I didn't know about it. Hmmm...).

I still like "Argyle Sweater," so want to give that a chance. But I don't want just a gaggle of gag strips, either.

What to do, what to do. Help me decide. Write. Here or at dena.rosenberry@gazette.com

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noooooo!

I love F-Minus, but I also love Candorville. Of course reaction was mixed, it's got politics in it. That means half will love it, like me, and half will hate it (but they'll still read it). Please make room for it when you can. Until then, thanks for linking to the website which I didn't know existed. I'd rather read it in the paper, but that'll suffice for now.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Dena Rosenberry said...

That doesn't mean we won't pick up Candorville, just that it isn't filling the spot that'll be left open when Diesel Sweeties ceases next week.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not gonna miss Diesel Sweeties in print. That one's better online anyway. The paper version was watered down too much.

Here's hoping you pick up Candorville, that one rocks. It's a breath of fresh air.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Dena Rosenberry said...

Karen,
Thanks for weighing in. I'm with anon above, I think people will read Candorville, even if they don't always like it. Though I just got a letter that says it's 1 of the 2 worst strips ever (the other being Daddy's Home). C'mon, really? The worst? With no explanation?

It's difficult to spend much time thinking about such blanket statements.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't figure out how to get my name in here... just want to vote. Big giant Yes on Candorville. Moderate Yes on F-Minus. "Knight whatever" is pretty good, that would get a big Yes from me. Agnes gets a mild Yes.
Good riddance to Diesel Sweeties. Daddy's Home gets a mild Yes. Family Tree is a waste of time.

- Bonnie -

10:37 AM  
Blogger Dena Rosenberry said...

Thanks, Bonnie!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Candorville. F-Minus is good too.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Today's (9/5/08) Candor is not the type of comic that I feel I want to pay for in the Gazette. It gives the wrong message and it isn't at all funny. If one feels that cheating on one's spouse is funny, they are sick.

Gary

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please. It doesn't give the "wrong" message just because you disagree with it. I happen to agree with it most of the time, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say it gives the "right" message.

And I for one found Lemont's worrying about his fiancee cheating with John Edwards to be hilarious. And that's speaking as someone whose been on Lemont's side of the issue in real life. The only thing I think is "sick" are people who think those who disagree with them are "sick."

I'm a non-subscriber, but I'll tell you what, I'll pick up Gary's subscription if he drops it because Candorville IS the kind of thing I would pay for.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home