Friday, January 18, 2008

Are family strips funny?


I get a lot of calls and letters complaining that many of the family strips aren't funny.

Do they need to be?

I like Zits because it is a family strip and I think it's funny. I like Baldo because I like the kid characters and I like the multigenerational and multicultural family interacts.

A reader wrote that she enjoys For Better or For Worse and Stone Soup (above) because they "deal with the challenges of modern family life (and motherhood)."

That doesn't indicate they're funny, just that they deal with familiar subjects or deal with topics that reader can relate to.

That's today's Stone Soup above. The reader asked for its addition to the test lineup. Why not?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the family strips are funny when they are supposed to be and sad at other times - just like real life. I really like all the family strips now running. "Stone Soup" looks like it could be a great replacement for "Diesel Sweeties." :) It took a while, but now I like the two strips that are being tested. I also love all the strips about animals. Please don't ever get rid of "Non Sequitur."

1:00 PM  
Blogger Dena Rosenberry said...

Manitoubear,
If I'm reading you correctly, you're not a Diesel fan!

It's funny that you should mention the "strips with animals." At least every dozen letters or so, someone says: Get rid of all the animals strips. I want to see more people!

I guess they don't like animals "standing in" for humans.

And I don't think you have any worries about Non Sequitur. The Sunday strip may never come back, but I can't imagine the daily going anywhere.

Do other members of your family read/enjoy the same strips?

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dena, thanks for giving the readers a voice on this. The comics section is my favorite part of the paper for many reasons. I do like Stone Soup. But for a family strrip, as an artist and a writer, I have to say that Cul De Sac is among the finest and most nuanced strips I've EVER read. The art is evocative. The writing dripping with pathos. I just worry that people looking for the traditional setup/conflict/pun comic will not understand what's going on. Please commit to this strip ... it's amazing.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home