Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A kid I can relate to


The folks who are voting via mail to keep/drop some of our old standby comics by and large detest "Lio," which I think is one of the most inventive strips to come out in years. They largely ignore "Frazz," too, my current favorite strip. What gives?
Lio reminds me of Charles Adams, Edward Gorey. Creator Mark Tatulli says he has always been intrigued by the artwork of an obscure 19th century artist, A. J. Volck.

"He was a political satirist during the Civil War, a Southern sympathizer, and I was always so fascinated with his darkly detailed illustrations. Every time I looked at his spidery pen-and-ink drawings I found something new. And maybe because his politics were 180 degrees from my own, often depicting Abraham Lincoln as a demonic figure, I was repulsed but still appreciated the craft of his work. I wanted to capture something like that with LIO…art that immediately stirs an emotion, simply by pen technique, even before you know what the strip is about. I don't know if I was successful, but I'm pleased with the results."

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ron in Colorado said...

Definitely one of my faves. Well drawn with no unnecessary dialog, just an active imagination, for any kid of any age group.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im 12 and i love it

4:58 PM  
Blogger Dena Rosenberry said...

Me, too. He has an active imagination. He enjoys looking at life from another angle. Remember James in "James and the Giant Peach," saying you have to look at life in "another way."

That's Lio.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark Tatulli is genius. I look forward to his creativity every day. It's one of the few strips that my 9yr old son enjoys as well.
I think it's amazing how he gets his point across with little to no words.
It's like Far Side meets Frankenstein.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has very good artwork and great imagination.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lio is detested because Lio is detestable. Zero humor; belongs in a seedy comic book shop, not the daily funnies. Not funny. Sorry.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home