Wednesday, February 06, 2008

That makes me sad

I just read this on the Web site of "Baldo" creators Hector Cantu and Carlos Castellanos:


Gus Arriola, creator of Gordo, died Saturday at age 90, at his home in Carmel, Calif.



I grew up reading Gordo, which celebrated Mexican culture in America long before anyone else in cartooning that I can think of. We didn't live too far from Mexico, so it didn't seem foreign to me, but in interviews Gus Arriola said he created "Gordo" to introduce others to what must have seemed a far off and exotic land.


Like many others, I still sometimes refer to one of my cats as Pussy Gato. I'd long forgotten the connection.


Read his obit in the San Francisco Chronicle here.


Read an interview on Hogan's Alley here.

Rest in peace, Gus.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home